Week Two of Book Two!
Wow. So the election happened. I hate to see that it seemed to stagger so many creatives into silence. I hope it’s a momentary knockdown, not a TKO.
Things to celebrate
- Hit 30K, 40K, and 50K during this week.
- Had a 50% success rate with getting up early to write (I was actually up more often than I was able to focus in the morning)
- Tuesday brought the election and Wednesday brought the strange disorientation. John Oliver covered it best, I think. It left me wondering if what I have to say has any worth in the face of the crushing problems of the world.
- But it was still a work week, and I was still recovering from a busy weekend that left me with a fair amount of fatigue. And we still had a week’s worth of schedule to get through.
- Friday, and Saturday, my employer’s website has critical issues leading to reveal my own issues with the website host that we share. Instead of writing my novel Saturday afternoon, I got to write my hosted clients to notify that they’d have to migrate their accounts, and I cannot take them with me.
- Wednesday, on top of the terrifying sucking vacuum of our country’s future, I also received – and mistakenly read before sitting down for my Asimov Hour – input from an editor which left me frustrated, and kicking back at the crushing weight of imposter syndrome.
- Life came at us hard this week. Social Media was a cesspool of negativity. Even in people’s calls for solidarity the rage and grief overwhelmed me. The ONLY thing I find hope in is that I was able to continue to write this week. I have no idea if any of it will make it to the final draft, but I know I am really fucking proud of those words because they proved to me that I did not give up.
- I found a reservoir of inner strength, learning that this writer person is really truly who I am at the core center of my character.
- 1 Writing Event, 2.5 hours total, worth 4295 words over three sprints/word wars. Set challenge goals for myself a couple times but life kept sticking its foot in when I tried to close off the world and focus. Still, my word count is nothing to sniff at.
- Asimov Hours: 6.13 hours total, worth 11,933 words
- Tuesday, 11/8: Asimov Hour, 35 min, 1289; Lunch, 40 min, 1378; Running Total: 30,163
- Wednesday, 11/9: Lunch, 25 min, 693 words; Evening, 45 min, 1594; Running Total: 32,450
- Thursday, 11/10: Asimov Hour, 1 hr 40 min, 3109; Lunch, 40 min, 1462; Earned 10 Day badge; Running Total: 37,021
- Friday, 11/11: Asimov Hour, 59 m, 1955; Evening, untimed, 322; Running Total: 39,298
- Saturday, 11/12: Asimov Hour, 1 hr, 1922; Morning Write-In, 2.5 hr, 4295; Evening, untimed, 991; Earned 40K badge, Running Total: 46,506
- Sunday, 11/13: Asimov Hour, 1 hr 54 m, 3658; Running Total: 50,164 (Goal achieved as Far as NaNoWriMo knows.)
- Monday, 11/14: Evening: 40 m, 1849 Running Total: 52,013